Thursday, June 2, 2011

Junior goes home

This is my fifth week writing for the Indie Ink writing challenge. This week my challenge came from Head Ant. I hope that you enjoy it.

Bump. Bump. I try with all my might to curl my body into the tightest ball possible in the corner of my crate. Bump. Thud. Judging by the loud bumping and thudding that is constant, the trailer that is housing is bravely fighting with the rough road as we drive along. My crate is lined with hay, which was taken with me from my kennel this morning. It smells familiar like my pack, and I try unsuccessfully to burrow myself into it for safety. Bump. Thud. Bump.

The trailer stops moving, and the doors open flooding us with light. A man walks in and we are all most definitely awake and all eyes are on the man. This man has come into the trailer before, and when he does I get to go out and walk around. I sniff at the air, which is growing crisper and crisper with each stop. I relieve myself, and stretch my legs a bit, and then he puts me back in my crate. He proceeds to do this with my forty other traveling companions. Twice the man has given me food. I like this man. He ruffles my fur, and talks softly to me. I wish I could stay with him instead of in my crate. I am barely able to contain my excitement while I wait for him to come to my crate. After my walk, he puts me back into the safety of my crate. As I listen to the noise from the other dogs, I begin re-arranging my hay. I begin to burrow in it in preaparation for when the truck starts to move.

Thump. Bang. Bump. The trailer plows forward over the road, bringing us closer and closer to our final destination. I don't know what that destination is, but I am more than ready to arrive there. The excitement of having all of the puppies in one space is purely electric. As much as I miss the familiar smells that invade my nose, I feel like I am going to explode with anticipation. 

Somehow, in the midst of all this banging and excitement my puppiness takes over and I fall asleep. the sounds of the trailer door being opened pull me out of my sleep. There is no more bumping or thudding, and the man walks for the doorway and takes the first puppy out of the trailer. I watch and wait for him to come and bring the puppy back to his crate, and hope that it will be my turn soon.

THE MAN COMES BACK WITHOUT THE PUPPY!!! That can mean only one thing... we have arrived. Oh my, oh my, oh my. Is it my turn. He goes and retrieves another puppy from his crate, walks outside, and once again returns without the puppy. I pace, and find myself whining a little bit. I am so excited at this point I think that I may just jump out of my skin from my insides being so excited. I pace and whine and pace and whine. Oh my, oh MY he's in front of my crate. He's opening the door, and he takes me in his arms. Where are we going I wonder? I don't really care, because we are here. You know by all the noise from withing the trailer that the other puppies know it too. They are all whining and pacing and whining as the man carries me past their crates to my destination.

We step outside and I met by the coldest air that I have ever felt. The man holds me out, and I am taken into the warmest arms that I have ever felt. A sweater is slipped over my head, around my belly, and over my paws. Between the arms and the sweater I stop shaking fro the cold. A shiny red leather collar is placed around my neck. The owner of the arms that are enveloping me kisses the top of my head. She leans over and whispers in my ear "Hi Junior. I'm your Momma." At this moment, I know I am home.

 

My challenge this week was "In the adoption world, "Gotcha Day" is the day when the adopted parties are placed in their forever families' arms.
 Write about Junior's Gotcha Day from his point of view."

3 comments: