Thursday, May 19, 2011

I love the rain most when it stops

This is my fourth week participating in the Indie Ink writing challenge. My challenge this week is from Debra Elliot and the challenge is "Into life a lot of rain falls." If you live in the same area as me, then you know that this is quite an accurate statement for this past  week. I haven't seen the sun shine since last Friday: that's six straight days of gray skies. I tried to take this weeks challenge in a less literal way than actually writing about the weather, but with all of this rain and it's effect on my psyche I lacked the motivation to write about anything else. As I sit down and ponder this weeks challenge, I am reminded of a song that a best fried of mine started a cd off with that he made me for my thirtieth birthday. It's called "I Love the Rain Most When it Stops" by Joe Purdy. I am totally unfamiliar with this artist yet I am completely in love with this song. Anyone that knows me is aware that indeed I do love the rain most when it stops. This morning I woke up to the baby babbling away through the monitor, and opened my eyes to my dimly lit gray room, and I sighed at the morning. My body aches from the weather as much as my head does. As I attempt to greet the day I am met with resistance from my back, neck, knees, and hands that are newly diagnosed with carpal tunnel syndrome. I drag my aching body from the solace of my bed, and go to scoop up my son from his crib. He looks up at me with a smile brighter than the sun, and for a moment I am content. I change him, grab a bottle, and as I open the shades before settling down on the couch to feed him his breakfast, I am once again underwhelmed by the day. As he eats, I think about what I need to accomplish during the day, what of it requires me to leave my house, and resign myself to the fact that I probably will stay inside in my sweats until tomorrow. As far back as I can remember, this is the way it always has been. I spoke to a therapist about it in the past, and explained how gray days brought about sadness, and after multiple gray days I would succumb to it's overwhelming urges. I find myself in tears for no reason, and the hopelessness is more than I can handle sometimes. The therapist's diagnosis was s.a.d., or seasonal affective disorder. Her advice was special light bulbs from which I found no relief, and when I felt the need to go tanning to substitute some missing vitamin  d. I went yesterday, and for the fifteen minutes I spent in the bed I was in bliss. I felt happy, and relieved. This feeling of relief stayed with me for about an hour, and then  it's effect started to subside, and today I awoke feeling as miserable as I did yesterday. Tomorrow the forecast calls for sun, and I've got my fingers and my toes crossed with the hope that it's true.

4 comments:

  1. Paint your living area golderod, buy three sunflowers and rub them under your chin while you sing loud, and get baby in a stroller with a silly dance. You had my heart at the start of the prompt. Be the light you need for change.

    ReplyDelete
  2. oh sweet lovely sara, i want to eat you and that baby right up for breakfast. how about that? would that help? today was grey again. ack. tomorrow? who knows. the sun will shine for the weekend. i like how you write, just keep writing! love love love!

    ReplyDelete
  3. You know? I think without trying to, you replicated rain with your words and emotions. And I mean that in the best way possible. You are a terrific writer, and I second Caroline's advice. The sun WILL return; don't despair!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I feel your pain--you must be in PA, as it, too, has been raining nonstop for a week... UGH!

    ReplyDelete